TIMELY WISDOM

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Notes from "The Dude and the Zen Master"

Zen Meditation instruction to beginners:


Thoughts will come; the brain's job is to produce thoughts.  Don't try to stop them, and also don't follow them.  Pretend it is an open door; let the thoughts come in and let them go.  Don't try to manipulate them because you'll get into trouble.

-Bernie Glassman




Buddha's Five Remembrances

1. I am of the nature to grow old.  There is no way to escape growing old.

2. I am of the nature to have ill health.  There is no way to escape ill health.

3. I am of the nature to die.  There is no wy to escape death.

4.  All that is dear to me and everyone I love are of the nature to change.  There is no way to escape being separated from them.

5.  My actions are the only true belongings.  I cannot escape the consequences of my

actions.  My actions are the ground upon which I stand.



*This is a bit of a lightweight book consisting of transcripts of an ongoing conversation between the actor Jeff Bridges and his Zen teacher, Bernie Glassman.  You learn a little about Zen and a little about Bridges' acting process.





No comments:

Post a Comment